45 years ago today, Padres Opening Day starter Dick Selma gave up a lead-off single to the Houston Astros’ Jesus Alou to begin the San Diego Padres no no-hitters count.
Earlier that day, on April 8, 1969, the New York Mets’ no no-hitters count reached 1,137 when Bob Bailey of the Montreal Expos tagged Tom Seaver for a first-inning RBI double. The Mets’ count would climb to 8,019 games over that franchise’s 50-year history before finally halting on June 1, 2012, with Johan Santana’s no-no.
The Padres count, meanwhile, has since climbed to 7,172 games.
Casey McGehee’s second-inning double off Andrew Cashner is tonight’s no no-hitter culprit, 7,171 and counting.
Sterling Hitchcock, a New York Yankee and Seattle Mariner before joining the Padres for the 1997 season, was impressive in his first start for San Diego.
On April 5, 1997, 17 years ago today, Hitchcock held the Philadelphia Phillies hitless for four innings before yielding a Rico Brogna 5th-inning line-drive double to right, marking the Padres’ 4,416th game without a no-hitter.
Hitchcock maintained the “1” in the “H” column, but Padres’ skipper Bruce Bochy brought Trevor Hoffman in for the ninth, and the closer completed the franchise’s 18th one-hitter.
Doubles by Brogna have been a particular pain for Padres pitchers. On July 3, 1994, while wearing a New York Mets uniform, Brogna ruined Andy Benes’ no-no in progress by leading off the eighth inning with a double.
The Marlins’ Jeff Baker tags Eric Stults for a first-inning single, and the #Padres have gone 7,170 games without a #nohitter.
Padres no no-hitter No. 7,169 comes in the first on a Carl Crawford leadoff double.
Leadoff hitter Carl Crawford drives a hard grounder by second for #Padres game 7,168 with no #nohitter.
Andrew Cashner yields a 2nd-inning Juan Uribe single for the #Padres 7,167th game without a #nohitter.
Sunday night’s Padres opener was actually Game No. 3 for the Dodgers, who opened up the season in Australia by beating the Arizona Diamondbacks two straight games.
The Kansas City Royals have claimed Patrick Schuster – the man who threw four consecutive no-hitters in high school – off waivers from the San Diego Padres.
Schuster, 23, had accomplished the feat while pitching for Mitchell High School in New Port Richey, Fla.
This spring, the lefty allowed two earned runs and 11 hits in eight innings of work (2.25 ERA). Schuster didn’t really have a shot at entering the rotation to see if he could accomplish a no-no at the Major League level, but he was looking to earn a spot in the bullpen.
Padres manager Bud Black is telling MLB.com that Robbie Erlin or Matt Wisler could fill the fifth spot in the starting rotation as Josh Johnson heals from a strained flexor muscle in his forearm.
Black says the 21-year-old Wisler has a lot of poise despite his age, and he brings a fastball in the low 90s that moves and a good breaking ball. Wisler will have to continue working on his change-up, he says.
Black says Erlin has been around the big leagues and has pitched in Fenway and Wrigley, so he’s capable of doing good things on a Major League field.
Johnson will likely be out for a month to six weeks.
The Houston Astros’ Jarred Cosart threw five innings of perfect baseball against the Washington Nationals on Wednesday, striking out nine batters by mixing up a fastball in the 90s with a wicked breaking ball.
Houston’s Raul Valdes took the ball for the sixth inning but lost the no-hitter on a single by Nationals second-baseman Anthony Rendon.
Cosart last year went 1-1 with a 1.95 ERA with Houston last year.